Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More about weddings

Ok, so even more people are getting married this year. It's like almost crazy at this point. I guess I am at that age where people are settling down and whatnot, but seriously, I've just heard about 2 coworkers who got engaged within the last week, I still have my two weddings that I'm a bridesmaid for coming up in October and December, and I just got back from a wedding last weekend. This is nice that there are good happy times to be had and I think it's beautiful that people are celebrating their love and whatnot, but....I'm going broke trying to keep up with all of them. I just had to order my dress for my cousin's wedding which cost me almost $200, I damn well better get to wear this dress again. Then I realized that I'm needing to pay for my tickets out there. And get a present. And get a present for the bridal shower (which I was invited to, but flying out east for that? hells no), and there's the bachelorette party which sounds uber fun, but jeeze, I don't have frequent flyer miles. Then I still need to get a dress and a present for my friend's birthday in October, I luckily already threw the bridal shower and it's looking more and more likely that I'm going to have to be a big driving force in the bachelorette party too (meaning shell out more money for it). This wedding I went to last week I paid $50 for a present, $120 for a hotel, and my boyfriend paid quite a bit in gas. Not to mention the food and such we had to buy along the way. I was left with a ceremony that was under 2 hours where they tried to convert us all to Baptists and feed us only a slice of cake and some finger foods.

It's definitely getting me thinking about what I'm going to have to do for my wedding. I want to make sure my guests get the bang for their buck, but I also don't want to be going broke paying for it myself. My parents aren't exactly rolling in the money right now but I really do want to celebrate the great union I will partake in. It's just amazing how stressful weddings are, for the people throwing them, for the people going to them, and the people like me who are only hypothetically planning one that might happen in the next couple of years. I feel like I need a nap now...

No comments: