Monday, January 16, 2012

Bandwagon

Well boys and girls it's that wonderful time of year when pretzels and pigs in a blanket are abundant and the beer flows free: Football Playoffs. This year my beloved Eagles didn't even come close to making it there, which is actually pretty rare of them. 2004 they made it to super bowl where they lost to Tom Brady and the Patriots. Being a sore loser I made an oath to always hate Brady and everything he did, which was made all the easier when the things he did included dumping his mega hot pregnant girlfriend  Bridget Moynahan for an arguably hotter Gisele Bündchen. In fairness to Brady, he probably didn't know she was pregnant when he dumped Moynahan, but he was dating Bundchen close enough after having unprotected sex with Moynahan that she discovered she was pregnant with his kid. That's pretty crappy. Hatred renewed. One thing I don't hate is this picture:
Anyways, Eagles haven't been back to super bowl since, but they've been wildcards and champs a few times since. So as I have said in post past, I am not a baseball fan but a Phillies fan. I am not a hockey fan, but a Sharks fan. I am however a football fan. I can watch non Eagles games with much interest and have watched every super bowl game since 2004. With my Eagles out of the running, I looked for a new team to root for. Obviously, I'm not going to be rooting for Brady and his team. I'm not going to be rooting for the New York Giants, who really shouldn't have made it into the running. I've got nothing against Eli Manning, in fact, were he playing for any other team I would gladly root for him. But the Giants are a NFC east team. That'd be like rooting for Dallas Stars. Ain't gonna happen.

A team that is playing well this year, and is right in my backyard is the San Francisco 49ers. Perfect, right? Nope, apparently not. Apparently because I wasn't rooting for them all season long I'm not allowed to root for them now. Believe me, bandwagoners annoy me like no other, but during a time when my team ain't playing, I don't see what the harm is for rooting for another that I would only root against when up they were up against my Eagles. I've been given a hard time about rooting for them by some. I'm not saying I'm trading in my Eagles jersey for a Niner one, but I feel like I should be allowed to hope they make it to Super Bowl. Either way, I'm super proud of all they've done this season. Saturday's game was one of the best I've seen and you could tell the Niners wanted it more. Saint's are a solid team and Brees is a really terrific QB, and the 49ers pulled it off. It's going to be very easy to root for them next weekend against the Giants. Hopefully I don't piss off too many true fans.

No comments: